• Nov. 4-19 — Minnesota firearms deer season in Series 100 units.
• Nov. 18-26 — Wisconsin gun deer season.
• Nov. 25-Dec. 10 — Minnesota muzzleloader deer season.
• Nov. 27-Dec. 6 — Wisconsin muzzleloader deer season.
• Dec. 30 — Opening of lake trout and stream trout seasons in lakes entirely within the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.
• Jan. 13 — Opening of lake trout and stream trout seasons in lakes outside or partly outside the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.
• March 31 — Brule River steelhead opener.
• May 5 — Wisconsin general fishing opener.
• May 12 — Minnesota general fishing opener.
Consult regulations for other seasons.
“I hunt because I don’t buy futures, sell cars, swing deals, negotiate hostile takeovers, or litigate, prosecute, or plea bargain, but because I am nevertheless, like everyone else, a predator. So I go to the woods where I belong.”
— WILLIAM G. TAPPLY, “Upland Autumn: Birds, Dogs, and Shotgun Shells”
DO IT: Hike to Middle Falls
If you’re on your way to or from Canada along the North Shore, consider stopping at Grand Portage State Park just south of the border. There you can hike to the High Falls on the Pigeon River, the highest falls in Minnesota (though shared with Ontario). Andrew Slade, author of “Hiking the North Shore,” suggests continuing past the High Falls and going on to the Middle Falls. Total round-trip distance is 5.1 miles. You’ll find maps and descriptions at the state park, or in Slade’s book.