Some anglers are venturing out onto small lakes to go ice fishing, but they’re checking the ice carefully first. Here are general guidelines from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources about traveling on ice:
* 2 inches or less — Stay off
* 4 inches — Ice fishing or other activities on foot
* 5 inches — Snowmobile or ATV
* 8 to 12 inches — Car or small pickup
* 12 to 15 inches — Medium truck
These guidelines are for new, clear, solid ice. Many factors other than thickness can cause ice to be unsafe.